View Single Post
Old 05-07-2023, 09:18 AM

Default A/C Restoration

Because of the rarity of the Tempest Cool-Pack A/C I wanted to keep the system completely stock. My number one goal was to make the system air tight so it would hold refrigerant without leaking.

I started by dismantling and cleaning the temperature control valve also known as the suction throttle valve. The valve was seized up and took some work to get apart. I found a kit on ebay that came with a new diaphragm and more than enough o-rings for entire system.

I replaced all rubber hoses with new auto refrigerant hose. I needed approx. 6 foot. I had to heat the end of each thick walled hose with a heat gun for about 5 minutes to be able to get barbed fitting to go in.

I rebuilt the original A6 compressor rather than replace it. Rebuilt A6 compressors are available at the local parts store but they have a ceramic shaft seal which are notorious for leaking. I found a double lip rubber seal to replace the ceramic. Also bought an o-ring kit to re-seal entire compressor. I initially bought a set of black o-rings but replaced with green ones when I found out the green o-rings are for use with R134a.
I found re-assembling the compressor to be a real challenge and it took me a couple of attempts before I got it right.
The pulley bearing was also replaced. I bought a puller kit to remove clutch. Also bought long heavy duty snap-ring pliers needed for 2 large snap-rings.
The early Tempest compressors came from the factory painted light blue. Not sure why? I painted mine black.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00510.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	612104   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00520.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	612105   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	279