View Single Post
Old 07-16-2023, 09:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
For a street driven car if you loose your electric you are calling AAA or walking.Happened to me and the factory pump went on the car the next day and never looked back.FWIW,Tom
With the pump in the tank the chances of it dying are very slim. It's basically the same setup that every OEM has been using since the 80's which has proven to be very reliable. Typically a proper setup like this will go 100k miles and/or 10 years or more without a hiccup.

As a precaution, I set them up here with a trap door in the trunk anyway. So in the event I ever have to change the pump I can literally have it out in 10 minutes without even dropping the tank, or even worry about draining the tank. So if I wanted to take a 2000 mile road trip across country, the smart thing to do would be to just carry a spare pump just in case since it's a simple 20 minute road side repair with a trap door. No different than what I would do with a mechanical pump car, I'd carry a spare mechanical for those long trips.

Changing the mechanical pump actually isn't as fun though, laying on your back and getting gas in your armpits on the side of the road. The trap door in the trunk to swap the in tank electric is actually an easier swap.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE