Thread: Engine Mounts
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2023, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
From the research I was able to do with part numbers, I'm 99% sure the 75 frame mounts will work on the 74 chassis. Hard to believe someone would unbolt the frame mounts, rather than pull the long 7/16 inch bolt, talk about doing it the hard way......

You're correct that the 77 design would be fairly simple to adapt to the 74 chassis, and yes you could have to drill some holes in the crossmember. I would think that finding the stamped sheetmetal that bolts to the engine might be the hardest part to come up with since there are different parts for the different chassis widths. B body, and F body look remarkably similar yet the difference in frame width makes them slightly different, been there done that one....LOL.

Luckily the factory stamped the sheet metal parts as to what chassis they fit. An A, or G body should have the correct engine mounts, but again your looking at likely only 77 as donors.
I think he pulled the frame mounts in order to adapt them to the car he's putting the engine in (a 60 Pontiac if I'm not mistaken).

The LeMans I'm supposed to pick up is complete (engine and all), so whichever mount system it has is what I will use. From your information, I'm expecting it will be a simple bolt in, and I won't have to adapt anything.

Thanks again,
Importsmasher

66 GTO convertible 389/4 speed (parents bought new)
73 Firebird Formula 400/4 speed
74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am