View Single Post
Old 10-13-2023, 01:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrennie View Post
With respect to Paul's question, I don't know what specific amount of balance is acceptable.

If I was buying a "balanced rotating assembly", my expectations are that piston and rod weights are similar, and that the actual out of balance amount is tighter than factory specs. In almost all cases, a rotating assembly is using parts of higher quality for more durability/performance, so overall balance should be better than factory.

After reading posts about balancing, it occurs to me that I actually have no idea what is good or not, so if my assembly was off by 10 grams I really don't know if that is an issue or not.

I had my rotating assembly balanced, but have no idea to what value. Ignorance is bliss!!
Thanks for your answer. Last I looked most rotating assemblies cost about $150 extra. Most shops seem to charge about $250 to balance a rotating assembly. I was curious why folks were buying the "balanced" assemblies. Most the balanced assemblies we see have one of each part weighed and the crank balanced. Most shops weigh every part and match each part to the lightest unit, then spin the crank. The spinning the crank is the biggest deal and there is no way to "check" that without going through the process of (balancing) spinning the crank on a balance machine.

If one is particular about the quality of their build, one would be better off letting the shop of their choice balance things rather than paying to have the assembly balanced and then asking their favorite shop to check it.