View Single Post
Old 02-04-2024, 12:21 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
Just curious but where are you located?.... Edit- nevermind, just saw canada, that supports the info below even more-- Do you drive in super hot temps like a desert or extreme south or more normal temps with cool spring/fall driving? Do you drag race or run long endurance races at high rpms? Im guessing not since you said its a street car now... so I dont see any reason for a 80lb pump &/or 20/50 oil. What is the reasoning for that? Since you said its a street car, this would probably get better responses in the street section as opposed to the race section. I could be wrong but I also dont think those stated clearances are considered "loose" like a race motor build.

If a lighter weight oil provides adequate pressure then that is perfectly fine & usually better to use... especially for a street driven car that stays under 4000 rpm for 90% of its use. There is no benefit to using thicker than needed oil or higher than needed psi pumps. I would use a 60 and shim it if it makes you feel better, then whatever pump you decide on using, try a thinner oil like 10/30 or 10/40, if psi when hot is good, use that unless theres a legitimate reason to use 20/50.

I have the same milodon 7qt pan, its very nice but as mentioned I run 6qts in it, i marked the dipstick at a fresh 6qts & have never had any oil starvation issues at the track or on the street, but it does make changing starters a lot harder than a 6qt pan, at least with big 2" headers.
Even with the 3:08 gears it runs at about 2800-3000 cruising on the highway with the T350 and a 2800-3000 stall. The 20W50 was recommended by the previous owner.
It came with a 7qt pan, but it never fit right (leaked) over the rear main (1/2" gap) and had elongated holes (leaked) for the timing cover because he ran a motor plate. So I replaced it since I already had the pump and pickup for it. He said it never leaked for him, but as I found out later, it had not been tracked in 30 years, just trailered to shows.
I use Dougs headers (1 7/8") , but have no problem re&re the mini-starter.
I am a bit paranoid as both his recommended transmission guy and machine shop guy totally screwed me and I had to send both to other shops to be rebuilt. I have not been able to enjoy the car for 5 years.