View Single Post
Old 02-05-2024, 05:44 PM
Senior Chief

Default Battery Cable Questions

Hello again all,

I'm going to replace my stock battery cables with lower guage versions to hopefully help with a slow when hot starter problem (I have already replaced the starter, which did not improve the problem). I was worried about the heat issue when I switched to headers over 40 years ago, but didn't really have any problems until the last year or so; of course, the original 403 was a bit smaller than the 455 (Pontiac version) I swapped in 20 years ago, but the starter seemed to handle it ok, even with a compression ratio of 10:1. Anyway, where can I source these new cables, and what are the stock lengths for a 78 Trans Am? They are probably the same for either the 403, 400, and 455, but I'm not sure, and my searches are not giving me concrete answers.

Thanks,

Joe

78 White T/A, Carmine interior, Fisher T-tops, WS-6 package, 3.08 gears, a/c, rear discs. Original 403 with 300,000 miles replaced by new Pontiac 455 (roller everything, 6x-4 heads, Performer manifold, Hooker Headers, Hughes converter, Cliff's Q-jet) - I only get 12 mpg!