View Single Post
Old 02-14-2024, 05:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
But the engine in question wasnt a 2bbl, it was a HO (insert year, cid & code here) that had good oil psi etc etc. The main thing with that example was that the engine was never really driven after that or abused at high rpms, it started knocking in the driveway after the heads were rebuilt. Compression wasnt raised to cause detonation, if anything they might have had a .003 clean up that wont change the comp anywhere near enough to do damage. Highly unlikely the rebuilt heads caused the bottom end to fail on that engine.

I do agree the bottom end was fubar'd & on its last leg to begin with, and that 2 gallons of ATF, 2 different times probably didnt help the situation, but the rebuilt heads didnt "cause" the bottom failure.
My post was not specific to that particular thread, but was intended to address the wive's tale of the top end rebuild causing bottom end failures in general. The engine you reference had its own set of issues and possessed dubious build quality long before it's owner started monkeying with it. I would suggest also his accounting of a motor's condition is not something I would take to the bank.

Last edited by NeighborsComplaint; 02-14-2024 at 06:04 PM.