View Single Post
Old 02-15-2024, 12:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Believe the '75 models were even heavier. Their pellet type cat coverters contributed to that. Stock performance wise, the '75 400's were the first to receive the beveled top pistons that further lowered C/R. Car & Driver tested all the new for '75 model American performance offerings & the Cosworth Vega edged out the Vette & Pontiac's 400 powered TransAm in 0-60 times. The late season 455-4spd T/A's weren't out yet, but were no barn burners bone stock.
That makes sense.... I'm not sure. The 75's came with lighter transmissions and less exhaust pipe. The 455 cars were all four speeds and used a smaller muffler. Also, the 557 blocks started in 75 along with a lighter crankshaft. The intake manifold didn't have the massive EGR bump. I'm guessing that the larger rear glass weighed less than the additional steel in the quarter panels.

I had a one owner 76 400 4 spd Formula that was ordered as a "performance" car. It was an under performer. I really think my 80 301 (tuned) was faster and that clocked 20 mpg on the highway..... It (the 76) turned into a fantastic car when I installed a blueprinted RA III with headers.... What a fun car!