View Single Post
Old 02-21-2024, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Whitmore told me a couple of B Fulper stories before he passed. They were friends, at least friendly. Dan made a trip out to CA to see his daughter and stopped by Fulpers shop to say hello.
One time Fulper was in to booth at a big Pontiac drag race in which there was some cars with Dan's engines . He had one of his long rod 400s in a 2nd gen, heavy car. It ran 10s back in the 80s and that was pretty fast back then.
Well, that Bird was coming up to the line and Fulper said over the mic that "it sounded like a Big Block Chevy". After it ripped off a 10 second pass Dan ran up to the booth to let him know it was a Pontiac 400 that he built. Dan took a little offense to it.
Another time there was a group of the Pontiac big dogs back in the day sitting at a table discussing Pontiac engine know how. It was a incredible group of people that I won;t give up the names but the Pontiac world was a smaller one back then.
Bruce was there but had not been invited to the meeting, had not made a name for himself yet. But he hung just outside the door trying to pick up what he could, eavesdropping basically. He used some of that info and claimed it as his own. At least that is what I was told.
My only contact with him was way back when I first started to get serious at the track and called him up for a plug recommendation and he was very rude. By Bruce.
That 64 GTO on the cover of his old green catalog showed up at our track back in the 90s. The owner was on vacation up the coast WITH his car. How cool. I could not believe he was actually at our track. Well, that was before it got resurfaced and he blew the tires off at about the 150 foot mark. Said he would not be back, almost wrecked so the car made power. VERY nice car too.
When I asked about Bruce he said well, nothing good.
He was the guy Bruce ripped on his site for taking apart his engine to find out Bruce's "secretes". It was a "44O" Pontiac with E heads, Flying Toilet and Milodon gear drive.