Thread: ram air hood
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2024, 05:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default proof

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
Please - Offer some proof of the above statement.

You have only offered conjecture.

If unbraced hoods were really breaking, how come you can still find them fifty-four years later(?).

right there you have contradicted yourself.
It's not a possibility;
Weather you realize it or not, you are attempting to rewrite facts.

To be a "1970 only" part;
It would not have been used on 1971 vehicles.

I think I read that same post that you did about a 1971 TA with a twelve bolt;
I cannot recall that story or situation;
But clearly there is more to the story there.
These cars are older than me. I have had my car since a,little boy. Even back then parts where hard to find. Local wrecking yard and friend Steave Hanson had more firebirds than GM sports in the 90's. He told me the steel reinforced hoods started in 1971 because of bowing and breaking at hood hinge area. Other members have discussed this too. It's the 1st version of the formula hood and I will cut out my vents. I believe Steave and Formula Bruce. I'm not a judge or hVe time to research or question what was taught to me. I drove 8 hours to buy to hoods .Will run the ra hood and make a 70 ra hood too. I might even date code it with a yellow crayon just because it can be done. I believe the old timers that grew up with these cars. Can we explain the Feb. dated blue steel reinforced hood? That hood throws yours thought of 71 being non reinforced out or it went to dealer with a broken hood and got swapped out. My brown hood has original stickers on it and is correct for 71 or 72 I believe. It would be fun to know if it's really a 1 year part but as far as I know I think it is. But I'm no expert bro. I'm just getting my parts to restore it. My friend in Texas has a real ra stick and his unbraced hood bowed. the wind goes through the snorkles along with heat putting upward force on them and they warp. The steel reinforced hood warps too for same reason. Adding slightly thicker reinforced steel bracing helps
I'm not trying to argue with you or upset you. I like you and you teach me things about my car. I never really questioned if it's really a one year only part but you have a valid point and maybe the older members with wisdom will shine a light on your concern and curiosity. I'd like to know too.

Last edited by Ramairnacho; 03-07-2024 at 06:04 PM.