View Single Post
Old 03-10-2024, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you want an informed answer/reccomendation for oil, based on application, you need to go right to the lubricant manufacturer. Every time I've had oil related questions, I've found the correct answers from the people that have engineered the oil, and additive package.

The best example was when I worked for an asphalt sealing company, in the mid 80s, that was losing air cooled engines on their parking lot blowers at the rate of roughly one a week. The engine manufacturer was reccomending 30 weight non detergent, and changing it once a week. Following that advice did not fix the problem of seized engines. I called Pennzoils tech line, explained the problem, and was told to buy their "new at that time" full synthetic 10W30 oil. This completely solved the problem, and also we were able to extend oil changes from once a week to every 3-4 weeks depending upon hours the blowers were run. The ability of the synthetic to handle the excessive temps on asphalt parking lots (up to 140 degrees), running at 3600 RPM constantly.

They've done all the testing, so you can rest assured that your engine build isn't the guinea pig doing field testing. All the major manufactures have tech lines, that are there to answer questions about their products. They know far more about their oils than average Joe, on an internet car enthusiast forum.

BTW, the oil temps encountered on autocross, road racing, or oval tracks, are much more demanding than drag racing will ever be, been there done that. I've broken engines before learning it's entirely different ball game than street, or drag racing. Oil coolers should be considered for this type of racing, and at the bare minimum, an oil temp gauge to at least monitor oil temps..

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post: