View Single Post
Old 03-20-2024, 11:35 PM

I have been struggling with this issue this week: our mirrors were from a Chevy (Monte, as I recall) and the end not only pulled off of one of the cables, but the nylon block broke in two; I think it's toast! But, I found two sets on mid-eighties Firebirds in a moribund wrecking yard for $20/pair, and ended up using those. They have a much sturdier-seeming control toggle end (all-metal!) and the escutcheon/socket looks a bit better -- for our application. So, sanding down to the metal, epoxy-priming, and repainting, once again! These are a bit smaller, but very similar - and newer. I'm considering putting the other set on my '61 Tempest V-8 coupe (not quite original anyway), but the mounting is much more horizontal so will have to put them in the band saw and modify. On the other hand, I can still use the Chevy version in this case, if I want to just shine on the adjustment feature; another sand/repaint, etc. If somewhere another driver's side unit turns up, I might be able to repair that one after all. Consider the Firebird/Camaro style? Wick PS; ours is on a restomod '51 Chevy.