View Single Post
Old 03-24-2024, 07:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I enjoy reading these older threads & I am not sure if I saw this one back in 2004 or not? But makes me wonder how much trouble it was for Delco to make the radios this way for memory. The old school mechanical radios like the one in my 68 to 78 have to have the button pulled out & then pushed in to mechanically memorize its position. Delco went through a bit of extra work on these early digitals so everyone would know how to store favorites, without having to look in a manual on how to do it. Then everyone moves forward & this attribute is lost over time & a head scratcher as to why they did it that way at all.

Kind of like ignition switches being on the steering column. Was moved there from the dashes to lock the steering as an anti-theft idea. In later years the cars that have mechanical stye ignition switches. locks were replaced with ignition kills, locking modules, etc. But the keys remained on the column because thats what everyone was used to. Thats finally starting to fade away to E-start buttons on the dash, but its still lingering with mechanical style switches in many models.

Kinda fun to think about.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA