View Single Post
Old 03-24-2024, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As far as where to put the regulator, there are many thoughts on that.

Me personally, I prefer a return line the full length of the car, which means my return style regulators are always mounted somewhere near the carb or EFI unit. Whether it's on the engine at the stock fuel pump location, the frame, or up on the intake, doesn't really matter to me, just depends on what the purpose is of that particular car, whether I'm hiding things or not.

The biggest idea of a full length return is to keep that fuel circulating. Anything along the entire run of the car that has the possibility of heating up the fuel before it gets to the engine, whether it be anything near the exhaust, even if it's the radiant heat off the blacktop, has a handful of not so great affects. Worse case being vapor lock or hot start issues. The cooler the fuel the better off you are in many ways. You can think of it this way, the closer the return style regulator is mounted to the carb, then the shorter the feed line has to be that has the stagnant fuel in it, and the longer stagnant fuel sits in the line the more heat it picks up, the shorter the line the less chance of that.
By stagnant I mean fuel that doesn't move much at all when at idle and slow moving situations when the engine isn't demanding much fuel flow. Now the fuel has a chance to pick up heat. No matter what you do, you're going to have a feed line that has stagnant fuel, obviously more so if you dead head a system or run a regulator way back at the tank. It's better to make that line as short as possible from the return regulator to avoid or at least reduce the chance of hot fuel situations.

That's basically the thinking behind that deal.

Now there are other arguments that can be made about pressures and how accurate they are based on where the regulator is mounted. That's a bit of a different discussion.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post: