View Single Post
Old 03-30-2024, 07:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"Cliff, do you do this pushrod check before the cam break in period of 20 min? Just curious on how bad it is to stop an engine before the 20 min @ 2000rpm break in period?"

If you are paying attention when adjusting the lifter preload and turning the engine you can see the pushrods rotate.

I don't do a 20 minute "break-in" period, never have. It is far MORE important to static time the distributor at 10-12 degrees BTDC and fill the carb with fuel for instant start-ups. I only run my engines a few minutes around 1200-1500rpms till warmed up, let them idle, double check timing, set idle speed and idle mixture, then get them to idle really slow, shut them down and remove the valve covers.

I'llcheck oil and coolant levels, then fire them up, and while idling really slow verify that ALL the pushrods are spinning. Then I'll dump the oil, catch some in a glass jar and look for "glitter". Then I cut the filter open to make sure it's clean. If you pass all of that the engine is good to go........

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),