View Single Post
Old 04-03-2024, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Pictures of actual cleaned up condition mean a LOT.

-Axle housing tube condition, are they pitted? Just fine pits or moderate pits?
-Bottom of center housing, is it still clean cast iron or heavily rust pocked?
-Since perches have been moved, multiple pictures of the welds tell a LOT. On several 12 bolts, I've spent a full work day removing, carefully cleaning up the axle tubes of previous welds, then positioning original style leaf spring perchs, & finally tacking them on.
-Housing ends, have they been cut off for c-clip elims?
Agree 100%, I am trying to figure out the picture issue, old dog learning new tricks here. I can read PMs here, not sure if my replies are going out. I have a really low post count here.

I am a little confused by this rear end, it does not look like the perches have been relocated. Did 1970 have the same perch width as a first gen? This rear end does measure 1" wider than a first gen rear end, which I believe is correct for 1970. I will gladly do some cleanup in a few areas to expose the condition of the steel. It sounds like axle tubes, perch area and bottom of the center section is most important???

Whoever painted it used a peculiar coating system - appears to be three part and very heavy/thick, Takes a while to get through it with a wire wheel. I could not even see the stamping on the axle tube through the "paint". Probably be Saturday this weekend before I can get around to that.