View Single Post
Old 04-06-2024, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Air IV Jack View Post
People use brake clean because it removes just about everything with an oil base, leaves no residue and dries very quickly. I've used this to clean clock works before oiling!!
I say this because you can buy something that does the job better, Carb cleaner is better at removing oil and grease and CRC Degreaser works better yet. Gasoline is oil based, brake fluid is not. Brake fluid is closer to anti freeze than engine oil. Water and alcohol mix with brake fluid. But wont mix with engine oil.
So many act like a product made for cleaning something, brakes, that has a fluid that is not oil based is the go to, be all for cleaning oily parts. Its not. It has to have ingredients in it taking up space in that can designed to work with brake fluid, not engine oil. So its less efficient.
Don't believe me, try some CRC. I had to clean a OEM oil filter adapter for a new expensive build. I used Brakeclean and was not happy with how clean I could get it. Got some CRC Heavy Duty Degreaser and it was night and day better.
Does it work, yes but its far from being the best.
And if it did not leave a residue this thread would not exist. Potentially deadly residue it leaves.
People go down to the parts store all the time with the intention of buying a product to clean oily parts and no plans on going home and working on brakes.
Then buy Brakeclean when there are cans of CARBcleaner right next to them that does a better job.

Last edited by Dragncar; 04-06-2024 at 03:59 PM.