View Single Post
Old 04-10-2024, 07:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You'd think that working from a clean-slate the folks making those electric carburetors would at least make sure that EVERYTHING fits during the install without "cobbling" up a bunch of stuff to get them in place.....DUH?

It's been like that with a lot of aftermarket parts related to intakes and carburetors dating clear back to when I got into the hobby nearly 50 years ago.

I chuckle to myself at local car shows when we walk thru looking at the "cobbling" folks go thru to run an Edelbrock RPM air gap intake and one of those POS AFB or AVS clone carburetors. Hack sawed fuel line with 3' of exposed rubber hose held in place with a couple of hose clamps while it 's laying on all sorts of stuff as it makes its way to the carburetor. Drop base and low profile air cleaner set-ups that rob WAY more power than the taller and bigger intakes every hoped to gain.

We're not seeing too many electric carburetors as of yet. I actually sponser one of the bigger car shows locally and walk thru looking at all the entries. Edelbrock has the market cornered here. If there are 200 cars in attendence 200 will have an Edelbrock AFB clone in place, 2 or 3 the AVS clone, and all but a half dozen left will be using a Holley carb of some sort.

It simply comes from being a little off the grid here, dirt poor farming community and nearly everyone in the hobby in these parts is looking for the cheapest thing in the Summit catalog that will move their ride from point A to point B......FWIW......

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),