View Single Post
Old 04-12-2024, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-Touring View Post
Just to contribute, I just changed out a 5 yr old stocker type Carter pump for a Carter Super Street. I’m currently running a 326 and had some issues, mainly heat soak/vapor lock, I believe. If I was at a stop light for a minute or two, and then took off full throttle, a couple seconds after I shifted into 3rd it would fall on its face. Same thing when I took it to the strip for the first time last summer.

I have a gauge on the inlet of my Qjet, at idle it would bounce between 5-7 psi. With the new pump it is almost rock solid at just under 6. Unfortunately I still have 5/16” fuel lines, I replaced em when I first built the car, before I knew better

Figured I’d chime in and say that even a 326 showed some improvement with a better pump.
Thanks for the info, 5/16" lines are a huge restriction for any carb'd engine or pump, not surprised you had some issues with a stock type mech pump even on a 326 with that size line, upgrade the lines and it would probably do a lot better. The carter SS pump should work "fine" just going to 3/8 line for your lower HP street car.

HWYSTR- No offense taken or given on my part, sorry for using the word "fine", its a general term that means no problems or issues, doesnt always have to be on/off for things like this. Every car/engine combo is different, saying "all mech pumps dont work" is not true, its only for higher hp cars usually doing mid 12s or faster at the track that run into the issues we hear about with starvation.

If I decide to go faster than low 11s at 121-123mph I will upgrade to tanksinc set up & will report back if that fixed my occasional problems at the track or picked up .2-.3 tenths that some claim going to electric pumps. That would be awesome & put my stock E-head Q-jet street car into the 10's!

Last edited by 78w72; 04-12-2024 at 04:00 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post: