View Single Post
Old 04-20-2024, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator67 View Post
This is a very timely thread. Been researching radiator & electric fan set ups for my son's LS powered 79 TA for a couple weeks now. Have never messed with electric fans so it's been a real eye opener. I really want to go brushless so as not to have to deal with a standalone external PWM controller. From what I gather, these controllers seem to be hit or miss with respect to reliability. I actually have one on order from DCC but it's been a around a month and I haven't heard anything, so that doesn't inspire confidence that I can get a replacement if/when it fails. Anyways, the Derail brushless dual powerpacks seem like a very good option. The challenge has been finding a radiator with good provisions for mounting the shroud. Just can't tell what will work from photos and drawings on-line. Wondering what folks are using?
When I get electric fans, I plan on going with the Flex-A-Lite #295 116524. The reviews on them are generally good, and HWYSTR used them as well on his 2nd gen and stated they were very powerful. They'll require a stronger ALT and a PWM controller, though, for best functionality. These fans are made for trucks but their dimensions happen to perfectly accommodate a 2nd-gen radiator with full coverage, and the shape of the shroud is also ideal for air extraction in that it's not "flat" but both fans are in a conical mold. Like SPAL fans, they also have rubber flaps that open up at speed to let more air through on the highway.

'79's always face a bit of trouble taking in air at speed since they're bottom breathers. The air doesn't just rush straight in like a traditionally placed grille such as on 70-78 models, rather it has to go in and then UP, which is why the chin spoiler for T/As (while the non-T/A trim levels have a plain air dam that's usually missing) is extremely important for routing air into the condenser and radiator while at speed alongside the grilles.