View Single Post
Old 04-26-2024, 12:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think you need to make your own decision. I feel the Cloyes premium sets with the billet sprockets and Z chain are the best available period. This is based on 11 years of running these sets in a blown nitro application at over 8000 RPM's with no harmonic balancer and a 44 amp magneto, a fuel pump, an 200 lb. oil pump all driving directly off the cam/sprocket putting incredible stress into the timing set. This is in addition to 450 lb. seat pressures and 1100 lb. open spring pressures on the valvetrain. If that didn't stretch these chains, I would consider them to be very high quality. We never had a timing set related failure even with a blower explosion, stripped/sheared off woodruff keys, broken lifters, broken rocker arms and a host of other chaos. Other people I respect on the forum have different opinions on the timing sets. Some like the Rollmaster sets because they can receive the SIMS torrington bearing modification. Cliff Ruggles and a few others like the flat link, non-roller chains for smoother running and better harmonic control. Also a claimed less stretch over time. That may be true vs a Chinese roller chain. In the end, quality parts will give you the best service.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post: