View Single Post
Old 02-04-2020, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Weiss View Post
You listed the min combustion chamber ccs but i don't see what the CR will be. I am going to guess 8.0:1.

Stan
All the NHRA specs are listed on the Class Racer Info site. It says 9.66 CR. Don't know how they calculated that. Might be using max bore & stroke. It shows zero deck height, with .045 head gaskets.

http://www.classracerinfo.com/Engine...9&MAKE=Pontiac

Another thing those calculators probably don't take into account is the torque of an engine. The big torque of a 455 will help launch the car.

I don't have a clue how much money they spent on head work. But, as mentioned, Adam Davis & Michael Brand both ran high 10's with this engine, in legal '73 Bird Stockers. That's with an iron intake, heavy pistons, & a flat tappet cam, with .421/.425 lift. And no trans brake allowed. That brings up the question again. Aprox how much ET difference does a trans brake make ? The online numbers I get range from zero to .2. Average seems to be around a tenth.

Another thing that could help make this slow car a wee bit quicker is to use 9" tires. Everybody knows there are Stockers that are running 8's, 9's, & low 10's, with 9" tires. Bill Rink still runs small tires, & he has run in the mid 10's.

Right now I'm trying to think of 455 D-port iron head SS cars. None come to mind. In fact, the only SS iron head 455's I can think of are round port.

Last edited by ponyakr; 02-04-2020 at 07:29 PM.