View Single Post
Old 09-16-2010, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"Cmon Cliff, why you always gotta bust out the same old chest banging routine...."

Interesting, I didn't see anyone yanking your chain, and didn't see you start a post with a big disclaimer before we had to read a page and a half of vague information barely even related to the original thread right to start with.

I think SC and I can throw some mud in each others direction without any assistance, but thanks anyhow.

Having SUCCESSFULLY campained three 10 to 1 or higher CR 455 engines that effectively managed 89 octane fuel with zero issues anyplace, I just figured I could share some of those experiences to help a fella out who seeking some modern, up to date info on the subject.

Each time I've upgraded my engine combo, we've also increased the static compression ratio. We went from 9.98, to 10.48, to 10.99, and still use whatever octane fuel we feel like topping it off with. Each time we have been rewarded with smooth idle qualities, and no loss anyplace of off idle or low end power, even though we kicked the cams specs up some. (there is a hidden message in that statement for those who look close enough) It appears that the increased CR is complimented nicely by a few more degrees of camshaft, or visa versa, depending on how you are looking at it.

I drive this car DAILY, it is only trailered to distant tracks to save the DOT's, no other reason. I always drive to our local track, lower the tire pressure, and start making runs. Even in hot/humid mid summer weather, no need to cool it down before, or between runs. I've even got involved with the Friday night box/no box Gamblers Race, and taken home all the bananna's, then stopped by my favorite watering hole on the way home to spend some of the winnings on adult beverages. My suspension system is a close to stock appearing as you will find. Not single traction bar, or anything else being employed in that area.

We are really in the infancy stages with our new 455 set-up, so not much information to share currently. We have some suspsension "issues" to overcome, as it really hits the tires hard. We have managed some improvements in that area, going from 1.88 or so 60' times down to 1.70, but it's still spinning HARD on the launch, so there is a lot more ET awaiting for us when we start hooking it up. When we get that deal all ironed out, I'll put up ALL the specs on it. For now, we're running mid 11's at over 117mph spinning hard on the launch. The compression on that engine is really high, so we are "weaning" it onto pump gas, not starting it out on pump gas so we can put a few pistons in the oil pan while we dial things in. As mentioned, we wanted to do an iron headed "basic" engine, with some really good heads, and a lot of compression, to see just how much the iron vs aluminum deal really plays a role in all of this?.....Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),