View Single Post
Old 07-12-2020, 04:16 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdoro 68 View Post
I stripped down the one that wrinkled and am starting from scratch. However I have three other wheels I’d like to clear coat that have base coat on them. They’ve been sitting for a week, so I’m thinking the best way to do that would be to scuff and spray another base coat then spray the clear within the 30 minute window. Any risk in that logic?
Today's paints in spray bomb has been reformulated to meet EPA standards........and suck.

If you sand your base coat and re-spray, there is a chance that the top coat/re-spray will also wrinkle.

Had all kinds of problems myself with the spray bombs, trying different brands and different techniques. Sanding the wrinkled paint and re-applying does not work.

So here is what I found. You can either put all your color coats on back to back OR, let whatever base coat you apply gas out/solvents evaporate and the color coat cure/harden - which seemed to be at least 2-3 weeks depending on outside temps/humidity - then you can spray over. The paint stays "soft" for a long time and that is where the problem comes in and you get the wrinkling. You can wet sand it and see the soft paint ball up/clog the paper.

I would spray my color coat (s) and let dry about 10-15 minutes between colors. If clear coating, again, don't wait, apply in the same time frame. If you let the paint set-up for too long between coats, you get the wrinkling. Laying on the coats close together can lead to a drip or sag, so you have to learn/watch what works best. I put a light coat on first to get things "tacked" up, so don't try to cover the piece with the first spray. Then follow up with the additional coats to cover. I found spraying all at once with all the coats/clear you plan on using is better than waiting 2-3 weeks and going with the next coat.

The best paints will be automotive paints from your automotive paint/body shop supplier. I never had an issue with spray bomb in years past, but the spray bomb today just doesn't seem to cut it. So a different technique has to be used. Did my pulleys and brackets for my engine and had all kinds of issues. Finally figured out the best way after sanding, or stripping, and re-doing a number of times to get the crappy paint to apply smooth.