View Single Post
Old 01-12-2020, 03:22 PM
Senior Chief

Default 71 GTO 3”exhaust recommendations....?

Wow, been a few years since I looked at Pypes and their 3” exhaust kits. Seems to me that they made a valance cut out kit for these cars and the 3” splitters as well. Not so today. I’ve run this engine I plan to use with a Dr Gas 3.5” x pipe into 3” Violators in a street raced ‘69 GTO and it was loud with the pipes dumping at the axle. Engine is a Kauffman spec’d 455 stroker wit ported e heads making 600 horse or so. That was a few years ago. Now I’m putting my ‘71 convertible together and getting my wish list going and discover they no longer make a valance exit 3” kit.... Is there a procedure in getting the standard 3” Pypes kit to fit the valance year cars or is there a better option? Mainly building a cruiser yet not certain I want to choke down the exhaust for the performance to suffer. I’m running DOUGS round port headers as well, which have a 3.5” collector.
Is there another exhaust kit brand worth considering? I’ve used 3 2.5”Pypes kits for other projects in the past and the fit and quality can spoil you quickly....

Thoughts anyone? I can tig weld and fabricate, just not interested in doing a whole exhaust that way. Modifications are a way of life, even today to get it right....

Thanks, Mike...