View Single Post
Old 11-19-2019, 09:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm half way there right now. I see it's the same chevelle piece that I bought locally about two years ago. I've gotten as far as cutting out the upper panel but got stalled there. lots of fab work ahead of me. I already cut the spot welds taking those chevy end brackets off, but I see in your pic you're in the same boat I'm in. the rot on the top of the original goes back deeper than the new piece will cover so you'll be adding material to the top to stretch this panel deep enough to get to good metal on what's left of the top. I don't think it hurts anything but the chevy piece also rolls down on the front edge that should be trimmed off since it should be flush with the top of the original pontiac version as an extension of the top. I don't think it would interfere with anything by leaving the lip there other than looking wrong from underneath.. What stalled me is lack of time along with the fact I've got rot going down into the cowl dip as well so I've got nothing to weld the patch to along the bottom. Material needs to be added there as well to build up what's left of the lower cowl. Very frustrating having to literally build 4 pieces of metal back into a single piece and then hope it actually contours correctly to accept the windshield close enough to actually seal up correctly. Anyways, between lack of time and how complicated the repair will be, I'm not done and the car's buried under junk again. I'm planning on getting everything opened back up to work on it by the end of the week so I can snap some pics of my progress so far. At the rate I'm going, maybe some miracle will happen and someone will offer an actually useful a repair panel that actually works on a pontiac without all the fabrication by the time I actually get moving on this again!