View Single Post
Old 01-23-2020, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

[QUOTE=Steve C.;6103212]Aluminium block shown. And a subject brought up by the OP..... No cooling holes, drilling is required to match your heads water holes.

And stated.... "Lifter bores are deeper to allow the use of standard type "corporate" lifters."
Do your homework on that subject, does that mean a 'regular' Pontiac lifter will not work !

It is my understanding the situaion has been corrected. But on very early iron blocks the lifter bore pads would not allow the use of standard Crower Pontiac solid roller lifters. Being shorter than a Corporate lifter the tie bar made contact with the lifter bore pad. In my case we machined the block for the necessary clearance.

I guess my basic most question(s) are where the deck coolant holes are drilled?
Stock locations?
Something different from stock, something improved?

Steve’s post number 4 tells A LOT! Nothing about coolant holes, though,

Smokey’s improved small block deal placed pipe plugs in the forward large deck holes, but drilled like 1/4” holes to make no air pockets formed. This allow coolant being drawn into the block to be mostly forced to the back of the head, and then into the back of the heads, flowing forward to the intake crossover, and then through the thermostat. Moroso sells a it that eliminates the crossover, making a “Y” tube that picks up where the crossover started on the heads, some how making coolant flow through each side of the engine better. Not sure anyone uses it any more.

My potential combination won’t be a racer of any, hopefully just another 10 second Trans Am that could embarrass some know-it-all’s at the drag strip, when I so desired, mostly just driving for fun.

Still need $115.00 more, for freeze plugs and the special oil pump shaft

That $4500.00 Butler deal looks good. But still needs more $$$ spent on it...

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...

Last edited by 77 TRASHCAN; 01-23-2020 at 10:11 PM.