View Single Post
Old 01-24-2020, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep,
You really have to weigh the other advantages to see if it's the direction you need to go.

They are obviously immensely stronger than a stock block. I like the fact that the bore size can finally mimic that of a BBC or 385 series Ford so now we can have bore sizes that unshroud the valves and help cylinder head flow. I also like the fact that even with that said, there is still plenty of meat left for multiple overbores and cleanups.

No lifter bore braces required for those that like big solid rollers.

I also like that these blocks have the ability to accept ridiculous sized crankshafts without modification, and a bigger crank than you could ever dream of stuffing in a stock block.

With all that said, you are no longer stuck with 500 cubes, which is dicey in a stock block, and you aren't stuck at a HP level that a stock block starts to show weakness.

Really depends on what you're after. In dad's case, he has a large stash of Pontiac blocks and could have went there when his last 455 bit the dust. When he decided he wanted something big that a stock block couldn't provide, it made the decision easy. The larger the cubic inch, the easier it is to make a certain power level without the need to be radical on the camshaft and compression, so the engine becomes more docile to drive.

Eventually we are going to get to a point that there won't be a decent selection of stock blocks to choose from anymore, and that is already coming to bear. Would be nice if someone would come along and make a price friendly aftermarket block, maybe something that doesn't need to be as tough as an MR1 or IA.