View Single Post
Old 09-26-2020, 09:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Also some info to share.

Even with the front tires on the ground and the rear tires removed and a jack under the differential (lowered all the way down), I did not feel that I could reach the centre of the roof without getting the airline or my paint suit in the paint.

I had planned to use the same 3' long work platforms that I used to block sand the roof, one on each side of the car, and walk them while spraying then move them out of the way while I did the rest of the body. However, when I practiced this before painting I was still getting my suit in the way and also did not feel comfortable leaning over as there was nothing to lean against.

What I ended up doing was to use a 3 step folding step stool that had a loop at the top, and set that up just even with back of the door opening. From this location I could stand on the third step and spray 95% of the roof nice and wet without having to relocate the step stool. When I got off the stool, I could then move to to the back window opening and use it to reach the middle of the opening and get full coverage to the window channel as well as make sure the back section of the roof was wet. I then moved to the front and with no stool I could get the front edge of the roof and window channel. Once I did all the paint down to the rocker area I pumped up the jack as high as it would go and did under the rockers, then lowered it back down for the next coat.

This stool was also good because I could lean against it with my stomach and my paint suit wasn't flapping all over. Leaning against the handrail of a stool isn't OSHA approved but worked well for this job.

With a paint suit, air line, and supplied air hood and hose (+ a beer belly) there sure is a lot of stuff to drag through the paint if you aren't careful!!!

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...

Last edited by mrennie; 09-26-2020 at 10:19 AM.