Thread: Oil Filter
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2020, 03:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm actually surprised nobody questioned my choice of synthetic oil earlier. Lots of opinions surrounding synthetics. Mobil 1 has been around since the '70s. If they ever cautioned about causing leaks on the label I'm not aware, never read the label til today. Nothing on the Mobil 1 label about leaks now. Some opinions will claim that synthetics have a smaller chain molecule that will escape thru a seal or gasket more easily, Mobil 1 certainly doesn't believe it causes leaks though they do offer High Mileage versions that have additives intended to help condition old, worn seals and help reduce leaks and also to help prevent oil burning. Haven't used that version myself.

I use synthetic because I believe it is a superior oil. I've been using it for about 20 years now in all my vehicles. During that time, I started using synthetic in a few used vehicles I purchased and never had leaks.

'04 GP GTP supercharged 3.8L has always gotten synthetic since new, 150K miles, not a drop of leakage. '12 Honda Civic 1.8L with 150K miles same story. Only conventional oil either car has had was the factory fill. First several years I changed the GP at 4-5K. But then realized I was throwing away perfectly good oil. I used to change the Honda at about 9K miles when the Maintenance Minder computer said it was due. But soon realized that was also wasteful (the computer has no idea what kind of oil I'm using). With the Ultra filters I now go many more miles and change it no more than annually. I always check the oil level before changing it to watch for any usage. I've never had to add oil between changes. The GP usage has dropped since I retired but the Honda currently has 13K miles since last change and isn't due for a change until end of Nov. By then it should have about 20-22K. And I expect the stick will still read full just as it does today (yes, I just checked it). I keep a record of every change so have the evidence.

Just to be clear, my engine builder initially filled the engine after rebuild with Valvoline 20W-50 VR1 Conventional Racing Oil. He also put in a pint of Lucas Engine Break-In Additive, I assume for added zinc. And the Wix 51258 filter. Those were his choices. He only builds Pontiac engines, races a pretty spectacular Pontiac that is Pontiac powered (aftermarket block and heads), has built dozens and dozens of Pontiac engines, been doing it for decades also. He went with conventional on mine. So this is the first time the GTO will see synthetic. The leaks so far are on conventional. The leaking that I experienced after the change are not new, the stains and puddle of oil in my drip pan were occurring while I drove it last summer and while it sat over the winter. The only thing new is I've decided to track the leaking down and fix it.

Everybody can decide for themselves but my opinion is that my cars should get synthetic. They are too valuable to me for me to use a lesser oil.

So I don't consider my oil choice as an experiment. The Ultra Filter is an experiment. But I did my homework and was confident it would fit. Since the gasket dimension was a tad different as I outlined in an earlier post in this thread, the only question was whether the gasket would leak.

I will keep an eye on it once I resolve the valve cover leak but after a few minutes run time, I am very happy to see no leakage from the filter.

I want to use it because the Ultra is a superior filter by construction and media vs. the filters that are specified as available for our engines. As I mentioned earlier, the whole idea of the Ultra (same is true for the Wix XP line) is to be compatible with the extended oil change intervals that are now commonplace with new cars operating from the factory on full synthetic oil. These filters are designed and built to last longer.

Since neither Fram nor Wix offers their best filters for our 389 application, I did my own homework to see if I could make an Ultra work.

Oil choice aside, why wouldn't you want to install a better built filter on your 389? I am more concerned that a lesser filter would fail and ruin my engine.