Thread: Oil Filter
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2020, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

John, I wouldn't even consider the OEM style full flow filter if I wanted clean oil, and extended oil changes. I think you know my preference is a by pass oil filter if you're serious about engine protection, and keeping the oil clean.

An article from Blackstone labs about oil filtration with a by pass system over a full flow filter, and their findings on why removing the fine material that a OEM style filter physically can't remove, works to keep the oil, and engine cleaner, reducing wear:

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/by-pass-oil-filtration/

A by pass system is head and shoulders over a full flow system, and just from the design always will come out on top because there is no compromise in the design. It's design is to filter out the minute particles that are small enough to get in tight clearances in an engine, and do damage. In your case of liking the car to appear as close to showroom as possible, a by pass filter would have to be hidden to keep that appearance.

Although, back in the day plenty of early GTOs had the second day modifications of Frantz oil filters added to them. It however is your car, and your choice.

One of my biggest regrets, is having the local speed shop give me a demo on the Frantz filter, and then rejecting it over the OEM filters back in the early 70s. I was a teenager at the time, and I of course knew everything............LOL. I could have been saving money and increasing engine longevity for decades over the OEM filters. They were only $30 at that time...........

One other point that was discussed in this thread, was leaks with synthetic oil. I've been using Pennzoil synthetics since they first introduced them in the mid, to late 70s. PZL was the first synthetic I ever used, and I have found that if the engine doesn't leak, introducing synthetics usually has no effect on starting new leaks. If you do have a leak it will become more pronounced by using synthetics. No scientific evidence, just my own experiences with synthetics having used them for close to 40 years.

BTW, I have M/T covers on most of my own cars, my personal preference. I do have a set of full finned ones that I can't recall whose name is stamped on them underneath, that I may use at some point.

I never was a stickler for stock appearances, and always took function over form in everything I owned over the years.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated