View Single Post
Old 02-02-2016, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
Ron, the "Tail Pipe Extensions" were a factory option listed on the '64 Tempest Order Form, required V8 and Dual Exhaust, Sales Code 422 (UPC N25 on Fremont manifests).

If factory ordered, they WILL be coded on the PHS docs.

They were also offered as a Dealer Accessory Package, in which case you could add them to any '64 Tempest model, single or dual exhaust. If purchased from and/or installed by a Dealer, they would NOT be shown on the PHS record.

The p/ns for the Dealer Accessory Packages were 984333 for the RH side and 984334 for the LH side.

These are the "accessory package" p/ns, NOT the actual p/ns of the extensions themselves (which are also well known). The package included all the necessary mounting hardware, not just the extension. They sold for $11.85 per side according to Eric White's book, a bit more for a pair than was charged when factory installed (this was typical of all accessory packages when compared to the factory option pricing for the same item).

As popular as they seem to be on '64s today, they were very rarely factory ordered.

The SRP list price was $21.30.

I have seen them coded on just 3 Pontiac Plant cars in a quick look thru my manifest records. A late Feb build, a late March build, and a mid June build.

Look for a 2, 3, 6, or 7 in Box 42 on a Pontiac Plant manifest record (depends on what combination of other options coded in that Box were to be included).

The option would be spelled out by name along with the N25 code on a Fremont Plant manifest but I don't think I have any '64 Fremont manifest records showing this option.

Because of the rarity, I was never able to determine the code for them on the '64 KC and Baltimore Plant Shipping Records.

I've heard it suggested that they were not initially offered in '64 as a factory option. All I can say is that the Sales Code 422 option was listed in the '64 Tempest Inspector's Guide, compiling all Engineering Releases prior to Dec 19, 1963. So if not released at the very start, seemingly released by mid Dec.

The late release idea is borne out by the two different versions of the GTO Sales Brochure.

The early undated version says they are "A dealer-installed option.".

The later version dated 4/17/64 includes a number of known verbiage revisions related to option availability and in this version the exhaust splitters are shown as "A factory- or dealer-installed option.".

But Price Lists and the Inspector's Guide seem to point to the idea that if they were a "late" release as a factory option, they could be factory ordered very early in the Model Year.

I'm only aware of one version of the '64 Tempest Order Form. But it is the version that was revised and issued after December. It is entirely possible that a very early '64 Tempest Order Form version did not list Sales Code 422.

I'm also aware that there was reportedly an "early" version with slightly shorter tips that resulted in burned or smudged paint. Consequently a revision with longer tips was released. If so, the p/ns either did not change despite the revision or else nobody has discovered the original unrevised p/ns.
Like I said...the amount I DON'T know about these cars still astounds me. Very interesting but like starting over again. Dealing with Fremont cars is just one more twist. Anyway...keeps it interesting. Thanks for sharing.

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.