View Single Post
Old 12-31-2016, 09:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Rear Coilovers,

As far as the rear coil over setup, I have that on my green/white coupe, it is a true street/strip car, and it works fine for cruising around,and of course at the track, however it is by no means a suspension setup that I would want to live with on a daily driver, it just doesn't handle well enough for me, BUT, it is by far the cheapest and easiest to install.

Rear leaf spring,

I feel rear leafs have gotten a bad rap, many say the cars sit to tall with them, but most of that can be fixed with "how" you install them, my 2 door wagon will have rear leafs, I will be using front frame pockets to locate the eye "into" the chassis rather than just sticking it below the frame rail, also I will be using rear sliders instead of hangers, and of course I will spec a custom double wrap front leaf for that car from AFCO, reason being the car is a 455/6speed stick, I wanted a rear suspension that could handle the lateral forces as well as plant the tires AND carry some weight, remember it is a wagon, lol

Multilink rear,

My Black 63 coupe will probably use some type of multilink, reason being I want this car as lite as I can make it but I also want it to be a corner carver, probably use some variation of a newer Mustang setup with coil overs and an 8.8 rear, I will be modifying the front crossmember to accept tubular control arms, a coilover shock and R&P steering and of course disc brakes all around, and I know this will cause some trepidation, but I may be going with an LS3/4l80e, again, I want this thing as lite as possible without sacrificing comfort/drivability.

Tube frame/Straight axle

I also have a full 2x3 tube frame with a straight front axle car that I am building, reason for that was I always wanted a Gasser, and that car had a poor and rusted unibody stucture, as I said it all depends what you want, what you can afford and what you are starting with, hope that helps?

As you can see, all different, for all different reasons, there is not a "This one is best" for everything option, again, just my opinion!

Stan

Last edited by Transporter; 12-31-2016 at 10:04 AM.