View Single Post
Old 10-30-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455HOGT37 View Post
50MPH!? You live in Canyon Country, right? Anyway, MY daily stretch of the 14 freeway (Mojave-Palmdale) is 75-80 or you're getting run over. The Corvette shows less than 1800 on the tach at 80MPH (and 30+ MPG). The stock LS3 is a real performer anywhere on the tach. some good long tube headers would only enhance that trait. I'd stay with the stock cam for a while and see how you like it.

If you've never driven the LS3, perhaps I could stop by sometime and you can wring the 'Vette out a little. I'd like to see your project anyway. Lemme know.
My commute to work and back is just across town from Canyon Country to Valencia, so 50 to 60 is usually what I keep my speed to on the 50 to 55 MPH posted roads. I used to commute all the way to Simi Valley, the 2.56 gears that came in the Tempest were ideal at that time for easy 75 to 80 MPH cruising.

I'd be honored to be able to test drive your Corvette, I'll be in touch Mike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponjohn View Post
B-man-

Any idea what rear gears you're going to run?

John
John, I have a 1966 GTO 8.2" 10-bolt 3.36 posi rear, perfect gears for my needs. Just can't beat on it like I do the 9" rear in my GTO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karch View Post
I wonder what the 3300# (stock) Tempest will weigh after the changes?
Steve, the Tempest is (was) a little bit of a heavyweight now, 3780 with 3/4 tank of gas and a full ice chest in the trunk. The all-iron 455, TH400, B-body spindles & 12" discs, big sway bars and 5 heavy steel wheels (I do run a spare) all add up. A bare 17X8" wheel weighs 37#, with tire it weighs around 55 to 58#.

The LS3 will knock a good 250+ pounds off the front of the car, Im figuring the new weight will be close to 3500#. Thats still 100# lighter than my '02 WS6 convert.