View Single Post
Old 08-10-2019, 02:46 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

The failure is still puzzling, but I've ordered new pieces (delivery sleeve, etc.). I'll carefully re-assemble it, paying extra attention to end-play of everything- and cross my fingers!
In the meantime, I spent a few hours trying to make installation of the transmission more user-friendly. I always have trouble keeping the torus cover gasket in place while raising the transmission up into the bellhousing- the input shaft usually bumps the gasket and moves it out of place (can't let sealer set up to hold the gasket, as it needs to remain soft while bolting the torus cover to the flywheel). So I grooved the cover for .103" square O-ring stock (Buna-N). Fixturing the cover true to within +/- .002" was time-consuming, repetetively shimming/clamping/checking. Although the offset boring head bar is 3/4" diameter, vibration was a problem, thus the lead weight bolted to the bar. Very small slow cuts were required, but the result is good. The stock protrudes nominally .030" from the cover face, no sealer will be required.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	torus_o_ring1.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	517378   Click image for larger version

Name:	torus_o_ring2.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	517379