Thread: chevy 400
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2002, 08:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My first answer may have been a bit sarcastic so I will answer your real question. First if automatic you need a new transmission if standard new bell housing clutch flywheel etc. New mounts alternator brackets and Chevy could be mounted opposite where the Pontiac alt is sitting now also ps pump could cause problems as well. New radiator is possible or might have to use those extra long generic hoses in case the necks on the radiator are opposite, New exhaust and manifolds. I believe your cost and LABOR will be extremely higher than dropping in the rebuilt Pontiac motor and no matter how good you are it will be considered a botched job. Once again you will DEVALUE the GTO tremendously. I mean thousands of Dollars of value will be lost. Chevy parts cost less than Pontiac parts only because there are more of them out there. Your machine shop is trying to sell you something he already has money sunk into. He is not doinmg you any favors. He knows what you will be up against. I would look around for a new machine shop. Call around and get many prices before making any decision.