View Single Post
Old 05-13-2012, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Darby, the cam is pretty much done around 5600-5800 so there is no need to shift at or past 6000rpm's. Almost every single time I street drive the car it gets at least one "proof" test, and it spins right past 6000rpms so quick you can hardly move the shifter fast enough to keep it from approaching 6500rpms. If/when the springs start to go "soft", I'll suppose I may put a piston in the oil pan or bend a valve pretty hard, or both! So far, it doesn't grumble at all when I test it.

For bracket racing, there is no need to "grind" up the engine to put folks on the trailer, so I usually shift at 5000rpms for all runs. If I don't think I'm going to get to the finish line first, or feel I was a tad late on the light, I'll "buzz" the engine to 5800rpm's and make sure my opponent NEVER has a chance to get out of it.

I've been doing this for many years, with all the 455's that have powered my car, and it has proven to be a very good way to go rounds, and win races.

My next engine is already in the works, and will use the larger camshaft, with a bit more compression than I'm running now.

I'm on the fence whether to use Beehive/retainers and go back to HR's, or continue to use the HIPPO's tight lashed. Ken Keefer has been very successful with the HR's and lighter valvetrain components, and it is attractive for my car as it's a real PITA to run the valves as the A/C box, wiper motor, and brake booster are all right in the darned way, since the engine sits so far back in these cars......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),