View Single Post
Old 02-20-2019, 11:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccass View Post
I certainly understand the short sited and inadvertently 'survival of the fittest' logic. If every car enthusiast bought every item they could from amazon, there would be no more hobby. The catalog business's would fold up and you'd have Amazon to your hearts content until they ran out of parts and then you'd have nothing.

What you consider 'service 2nd to none' is really 'delivery 2nd to none'. Yes they are fast and they are cheap.

Ask them a technical question about fitment.
Ask them if you can inspect the part and then return it at a show.
Ask them if the part is acceptable for a concours judged show.
Ask them if the part is as good as NOS.
ask them if you can bring a part to the show to make sure the quality is as expected.
Ask for the hardware kit that allows you to install the part they offer.
I could go on for a while.

The prices aren't all that much different when you take into consideration an entire restoration and the value a quality restoration supply expert brings. It's all about whether you want to be selfish or whether you want to foster the hobby and keep the money within the hobby.

Keep the money in the hobby and it extends the hobby that much longer. Go for the best price or the best shipping costs and...…...
I can just feel your frustration in the above post and understand. A company like yours does all the work, and essentially a re-packager, logistics expert like Amazon siphons off the easy stuff with no effort. I try to support the hobby, especially Pontiac specific companies. Many others on here do too. However, everyone has their own personal tipping point where they just can't justify the extra cost that in their mind is a "donation" to a vendor. I am sure Ames is looking hard at the shipping costs because they are a separate line item and easily visible to the customer. As more and more on-line vendors provide "free" shipping, Ames may have to absorb some of the shipping costs and distribute them through the cost of the products. That's what Tire Rack has done. Their shipping costs were killing them and all the similar on-line tire sellers were stealing their market. Now, shipping is "free" but the tire costs are up a little. There must be dozens of price levels from each of the shippers. When I send a race clutch to CA for work or re-cert., even with my company Shipping account, it cost me $150.00. When it comes back from the vendor insured the same way, same shipper, it cost $47.00. Really? 2/3 difference in price? Even though Ames is no Amazon, seems like they might be able to twist some arms and possibly offer some incentives to a shipper that really steps up with a better price. I think we all want to see Ames prosper and grow.