View Single Post
Old 03-29-2020, 10:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenga View Post
Interesting. Pypes web site says street pros are louder than race pros. Looks like street pros are just a hollow muffler.
Yep, and I've never understood why their site says that because I've never found that to be the case at all. I've swapped them on the same vehicle with no other changes and the street pros are absolutely quieter in every respect.

I had a 72 blazer with a 6.0 LS swap, used the LS truck manifolds, and then I built the exhaust system from there. Used an H pipe, all 2 1/2" piping, and full tail pipes to the rear bumper. This was a daily driver so comfort was priority.
I first tried a set of Mac mufflers on it that I had laying around. It was a bit too loud for my taste. I knew I didn't want flowmaster on this thing so I went straight for a pair of Pypes race pro mufflers. They were louder than the Mac mufflers and also droned. They were just loud everyplace, low throttle cruise around town, idling, highway, and got even louder at full throttle. They just weren't going to work.
I bought a set of the street pros, same size, and installed them. Immediately on start up the idle was tame with a mild rumble. That same mild sound was present at light throttle cruise around town and highway was almost quiet, no drone, and best of all I could now carry on a conversation with passengers in a fully open passenger compartment. They did growl a bit at full throttle with a bit of cackle which was fine with me, so it made a little noise when you wanted to.
That's when I pulled the flowmasters off my other truck with 3" exhaust and bought a set of street pros for that one as well. Again it was a complete transformation and my wife was happy. I've never bought another set of race pro mufflers, and don't plan to.

The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post: