View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 05:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's something to add to the overheating issue fix. It's not related to the water pump but still affects the over heating problem.

If you get a new correct impellered pump and it still overheats. Make sure you check the vacuum can on the distributor. They can and will go bad. I tried several good thermostats I have on hand, replaced hoses, flushed the complete cooling system, and put in new antifreeze again.

Shortly after I got my new pump installed I had the dreaded overheating pop up again. Haven't said anything until I found out what the actual cause was. Well I know now. My vacuum can crapped out on me. I took it off and as Charles said, blow into the hose and see if you can hear any air going thru it. That was it, the diaphram was shot so there was no vacuum advance. I bought a new one.... $9.00... got it back in and all is good again. Car starts better, runs better, and is now cooling as it should.

Sometimes it's the simplest thing that buggers up the works. And the vacuum advance can is one we hardly ever think of.... I know I didn't.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.