View Single Post
Old 08-19-2015, 04:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Firebird View Post
...tried 8" crank pulley, but not enough
clearance from subframe. too close for comfort. Gerry
It is really close to the cross member, but '68 Firebird A/C cars came with the 8" bottom pulley. Ours looks to have less than a 1/4", but hasn't scraped. I'd suspect engine mount condition would affect the final distance.

A few comments reading through the thread. I also found equal cooling between the 19.5" 7-blade flex fan and the 19.5 7-blade clutch fan with the 2797 fan clutch -- but the noise from the flex fan was too much for me. I still have the flex fan on the shelf, and if my hearing gets much worse, it will be an option.

Tested water pump pulleys down to a 6", and each time the pulley got smaller the cooling got better. Also, have tested and found that not having a thermostat runs as cool as either a good thermostat or modified ring restriction. Maybe Chevy needs some sort of restriction, but haven't seen this with a Pontiac engine. We've also observed that a properly working thermostat doesn't add to engine temps either - so no reason to not to run one on a street car.