View Single Post
Old 05-21-2019, 07:17 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default cooling update

Well been a few years and here is the updates. Well after she got out of body shop last year, I noted some weeping from water pump. Decided to go with shorter snout pump from Ames(11bolt 4" hub height). this allowed to remove all spacers from behind crank pulley and ALT/PWR steering bracket. Now since I had correct clearance from crank pulley to subframe I was able to install an 8" crank pulley. retained the 6.5"WP pulley and retained 2797 fan clutch for testing. Using a 9796134 7 blade AC fan. Noted fan only 1/3 into fan shroud(water pump snout is 1/2" shorter), but still cooled ok. To get fan further into shroud I decided to try a Hayden 2731 HD Fan clutch. This clutch shaft is 3/4" longer and fan is no 50/50 within in shroud. Using a Superstat 180 stat because I do like heat on chilly days. Testing well and so far having fan further in shroud and 8" CP work well. No FAN NOISE or squeals, belts are perfectly aligned. Gerry Again my car does not have AC, just like the extra cooling. I have retained original WP and Crank pulleys along with 5 blade original powerflex fan as wall art. I know the whole pulley alignment after timing cover conversion is a pain and I hated the look of spacers.

1968 Firebird 400, 068 cam, TH400 & 13" Continental Converter, Auburn posi with 3:08 factory gears, Cliff's Q-jet resting on a 68 factory iron intake, DUI HEI and Ram Air pans and RARE Long Branch Manifolds