View Single Post
Old 07-17-2015, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm 44 and I think I was at the tail end of cruising in my area. Me and my high school friends would all pile in my 77GP and take a 40min drive into the big metropolis of Cedar Rapids to cruise 1st Ave. It was always a blast to beat up on Mustangs and Camaro in a huge car like that. For being in IA it had a pretty lively cruise scene from 10 to midnight.

Gas was cheap, Radar detector on, Friends on lookout for cops, girls and cars to race.

When my older brother joined the military he was stationed in little Rock. We met halfway one time in St Luis and I got to see first hand what real cruising looked like. It was equally about the girls as much as the cars.

Another time I drove the whole way to Little Rock and spent a few days. Hit a few cruise spots, a few junk yards, acted like morons in front of all the women. It was a blast.

One story that I gotta tell about cruising 1st Ave in my 77GP. I was checking out something besides what was in front of me and had to make an emergency stop to keep from hitting a 77 Monte Carlo in front of me. I was able to stop just inches from his bumper. The car behind me was not so lucky. I think is was a Chevy Citation. The whole front end was destroyed. He slammed me so hard the radar detector on the visor hit me right in the mouth. I was pushed hard right into the Monte. We all got out and looked things over No damage to the Monte so he left. No damage to my car but still exchanged info with him. Those 77s were Tanks.

Anymore we drive to cruise events.