View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 01:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula400 View Post
Been pretty busy lately and finally was able to finish the tear down on the car...During the tear down i found a partial build sheet under the carpet, also found a complete one above the gas tank. So now this car has 3 build sheets !!

Interesting story - I disassembled the doors, in the drivers door i found a old "for sale" sign. I have had the original owners name since i started on the car and never really tried to get in contact as I thought the possibilty of contacting them would be very slim. There was 2 phone numbers on the sign, I did try to call the numbers which were no longer connected. My interest in atleast attempting to contact someone at this point has got the best of me. I went to a web site to do a person search, came up with a list of the same names, addresses and numbers. I look through all the names and ages trying to assume some one bought the car in thier 20's maybe 30's. I choose a number to call from the list of people, and here how it goes....

A lady answers the phone, I'm trying to quickly think of how to start with my question without bein hung up on. So I introduce my self and immediatly say that i have a 1970 firebird in my posession and I say the name of who the owner was. She immediately corrects my firbird phrase and says " A Trans Am?" BING !!!!!!! I have officiallly found and had a great conversation for over an hour on the car. I was able to speak to the wife of the last owner, he is still with us today but his health kept him from talking to me.

She is the one who wanted and bought the car, at the age of 23 and a 1 year old ford cougar, she traded in the ford for the Trans Am on the show room floor. The sales man told her it had a " experimantal 455 engine " when they bought the car. I recieved alot more fun stories and recieved alot of unkown history to the car. They bought the car in november 1970 and sold it around 1995 to pay owing taxes that where due.

She was such a sweat heart to talk with and seemed to just want to keep on chatting about the car. I have emailed her pics of before and during the restoration. She said she has all the paperwork from the purchase and will try to locate it for me. She also has pictures of when she bought the car, and will share as well. I did promise her that when the car is done, I would love for her to fly into town and re-unite with her hot rod once again !!
Too cool!!!!

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)