View Single Post
Old 03-12-2016, 10:56 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
The engine build was "high end" and overall not all that badly done. They made a couple of small mistakes that doomed it from the beginning.

The used lash caps on the valves, one was "soft" and got ground up to nothing putting metal thru the entire assembly. Two more were missing from the tops of the valves and loose in the assembly, not sure how that happened there?

The big showstopper were the "old school" forged/domed pistons, which require quite a bit of clearance as they are older alloys. They were too tight and two grabbed the cylinder walls destroying the pistons and tearing the bores up pretty hard.

I didn't cc the heads but it should be around 8.8 or so compression, it could go a little higher than that as they were previously milled and we had to cut them again to clean them up.

The cam is a custom ground HR, 281/287, 230/236 @ .050 on a 112LSA. Lift with the rockers we're running will be close to .580/590"......Cliff
So Cliff. Was the piston problem the clearance they used or the dome? I have small domed Pistons on my 7F6 head 455 HO and it seems to be okay. No detonation that I can hear at least. Been running for years that way. I've always had some concerns with the domes.