View Single Post
Old 02-11-2020, 03:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman98 View Post
Yay setbacks. The scattershield that I had in my attic forever has a BOP pattern, but for some reason the safety block plate is a Chevy pattern. I didn't even check when I bought it, just threw it in the truck. I'm a design engineer, so I'm drawing up a new plate today and going to have it sent out to be cut.
One thing you may already be aware of: when I got parts to rebuild the ST10 that is in my '61 Chevy that uses a Lakewood scattershield and a block saver plate, Paul told me I would need an extended pilot bushing to make up for the thickness of the block plate in order to fully support the input shaft. It turned out fine. Also, be sure to dial-indicate your scatter shield to verify trueness. Mine had been installed with the dowel pins driven into the block, and was off-center. That caused the transmission input shaft bearing to be wiped out. I had over .120" run-out, and max allowable is .005"!!!! The thing had been really hacked. So, be careful to dial it all in on the install. '59-'62 Big Pontiacs are some of the prettiest cars ever made, IMO. Looking good!