View Single Post
Old 07-31-2019, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisr View Post
Don't forget to get it up to operating temp so everything is warm/expanded/oil is circulated. Don't comp test it cold. The variation between cylinders looks fine, I think I have between 170-180psi in all 8 of my 400, but it has a 255/262 @ 0.050 solid roller on 108LSA. I would have expected yours to have around 190-200psi if it's on a wider lobe split plus your engine also sounds like it's running very well when it has some idle speed and sounds very raspy when the throttle is cracked.
Some good perspectives. The engine was warmed up before testing. Throttle was open and a minimum of 5 cranks for each cylinder. One thing of interest is your correct observation that the motor runs well and is very responsive after it transitions out of the idle circuit. One variable not mentioned is that a new carburetor is being used. It is a custom build by Jeff Korner. (SP?). I am concerned about the lack of response to tuning while on the idle circuit. I am suggesting that temporarily the original carburetor be put back on until some of the basic idle issues are sorted out. It idled well with the original carburetor. We all have jobs but will do another compression test with another gauge to confirm correct total compression numbers ASAP.