View Single Post
Old 02-18-2014, 03:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
Drew , I hate to say this but if you don't have the money to buy a good rebuildable engine for your car, then your probably not going to have anywhere enough money to rebuild any engine for your car. I will guess here as I on;y have my costs to go on here. My cost to rebuild is very high as I only go the best I can when I rebuild the engines for any of my cars. But a cheap rebuild with the proper machine work is still going to cast somewhere around the $ 3000.00 mark. You might get off a little cheaper but only a couple hundred or so.
On a budget, it can be done if you have a little luck.

Re-ring kit, $250.
Summit cam kit, $120-ish?

It could really depend on how decent your starting pieces are. $400 could get your block bored. $650 gets a forged Fed Mogul piston/rebuild kit to go with fresh bore. Throw in some miscellaneous like above mentioned cam kit and mid-level timing set, and we are still less than $1500.

So many variables, tho. Honestly? If I had a 77 400 to build (in place of the current ventilated block) and the bores looked decent, I would consider doing the re-ring, timing chain, cam, and oil pump. See what flies. Keep the cam within limits of the stock valvetrain. I would rather spend a little to get the car driving than hold out to get the "ideal" setup. Ya gotta do what you can do when cash is tight. I've done a couple of motors that I threw together DIRT cheap, and then drove them problem free for between 20k-60k+ miles. I wouldn't do them that way now, but I did what I had to back when kids, family, house, etc. were eating up the car budget.

Having a broken GTO in the garage isn't much of a way to enjoy the hobby!