View Single Post
Old 03-10-2008, 06:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There are quite a few around here.A chev.-Jeep dealership less than 1/2 mile from here was opened in the 20s,I think 1923.Its still pretty much the same except they quit selling Jeep 2yrs.ago.The showroom can only hold about 2 cars.Up until about 5yrs.ago the outside remained unchanged then GM made them 'update'the front.Ugly.They have a 53-4?Vette that never sold,a 62 Imp.,23 Chev.,pace car Vette.The 'truck lot' is right down the road.They opened it in the early 60s as a Gulf station and used car lot.They pumped gas 24 hrs.I worked there in the early 80s now its just the new-used truck lot,no gas.Same family since day one.About 1/2 mile from here on the highway is a Pontiac/Buick dealership that closed up in the 90s.Its been given a face-lift and is now a parts recycling business.I remember going there with my parents and going for a test drive in a new 74 GTO,red/white int.,4-speed.One mile from here is a Pont/Buick/GMC dealer,also sold Olds too.Opened around 66 as a Plymouth dealer.Still same family owned.3 miles away is the building I work in.Built in 1913 for the school basketball team and town rec center it was an Auburn/Cord dealership in the 30s.It also housed the towns first firetruck in an addition built on in the 20s.It is now a nationally known pottery company.Up the street from there it my late Grandfathers restored Gulf station.It was built in the teens by my Greatgrandfather as a Gulf station along Main st.He sold new Fords from there in the 30s-40s.Long story short,it is back in the family and restored close to how it looked in its day.I have more but Ive taken up enough room so Ill shut up...for now.Ill try to post pics but I never seem to be able to get them to upload.