View Single Post
Old 12-01-2019, 11:47 AM
Senior Chief

Install position is a big player. Many here just stab camshafts in place without checking anything, and no idea where the ICL ended up. Could be anywhere with stacked tolerances playing against you.

That's a great point. Kinda happened to me? When I installed the 2802 I was in a hurry, not paying attention, used the retard key in the 3 key chain set, thought it was straight up. Since this was just a temp fix so I could drive the car until I collected parts for a full build, I didn't degree it. Damn thing rattled and knocked, on 93 with octane boost and timing set at or below stock settings.
After head scratching a couple months , thinking the cam was too big, I decided to advance it. I knew u could advance a too large cam to improve bottom so I thought I'd try. To my amazement upon teardown I found my mistake of using the wrong keyway. I set it straight up. After assembly ,what a difference only 2-3 degrees makes. It was now the tire shreader it once was, could run 87 gas, and initial timing back to 14btdc with No more rattle!
Since this, I always take the time to throw a degree wheel on when installing a bumpstick!

I call it a rat sleeper.
The Following User Says Thank You to 455rebel For This Useful Post: